Thursday, January 1st: Planted soaked bluebonnets in corner & back beds. Planted 3 Aquilegia dichroa under TX Persimmon with other columbines. Up-potted Marilyn's Choice Abutilon. Clerodendron wallichii had most of branches broken off, probably due to a cat or Annie or combo thereof. Grr. I'd left a Pink Turk's Cap lying on the ground where I'd dug it up, so I put it in a pot & will hope for the best.
Friday, January 2nd-Monday, January 5th: Hung out with my gal pals in City Different. Snow everywhere from Christmas storm. More snow showers while we were there. High Country Gardens was closed till the 6th, darn it. FABULOUS Farmers' Market visit on Sat. morning. Wish I could do that every week! Bought 1 variegated Agave and a watchchain Crassula. Also bought 2 Cypress trees at Whole Foods for $6.
Tuesday, January 6th: First goldfinch spotted at pine tree feeder! Hung socks for them there and in back. Rained overnight & in morning.
Wednesday, January 7th: Clear and sunny. Lettuces are sprouting in all veggie pots.
Thursday, January 8th: Buttercream Poppies are sprouting. Think I need new thistle socks and more sunflower chip tube feeders.
Friday, January 9th: Up-potted Cypress trees from Whole Foods in Santa Fe. Soaked Cupani sweet peas. Pruned Cecile Brunner & Carefree Beauty VERY thoroughly. Pruned Salvia greggii in front of Cecile a bit. Oxalis runs rampant in that bed and under TxPersimmon. T-shirt and shorts weather!
Saturday, January 10th: Worked Fruit Tree Sale for Master Gardeners. Good turnout. Very chilly and windy out there, need thermals. Was warmish when I got up but cold front blew through just after 8 am. Neil P., who answered Craigslist ad re free sod, came to remove it. I raked some of the remaining grass out but it was too chilly to do more.
Sunday, January 11th: Let the Cypress trees dry out too much before I potted them up. They're losing needles but I don't think they're a lost cause. Planted sweet peas under Carefree Beauty and under Gothic Arch. Planted sweet peas on alleyway fence under cattle panel and also in veg pots. Bought Pilea 'Moon Valley' at Lowe's for houseplant.
Monday, January 12th: Papilio blooms have already withered. Only 2 per stalk. Monoonlight has 4. Hyacinth bulbs in vases are not doing that well. Only one is rooting, others had rotted basal plates. I peeled those off & set them over empty vases to dry out a bit. Need to see what Sally says about this. Watered a bit in back. Thinned and transplanted Nigella seedlings. Want more seeds. Why does pond have so much string algae on rocks? Need to talk to Justin or Nelson's.
Monday, January 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment